Application Deadline: February 29, 2020 5:00pm
Why volunteer your valuable time at Rainbow Resource Centre?
- To foster a greater sense of understanding of 2SLGBTQ+ issues and inclusion with our allies
- To make connections within the 2SLGBTQ+ community and learn more about the resources, support and education the Centre provides
- To gain skills and work experience in group presentations for which a professional reference will be provided
Title: Community Facilitator
Purpose: To provide knowledge, skills and experience to 2SLGBTQ+ newcomers, people of colour, Two-Spirit, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals who face barriers to employment so that they may deliver one-hour workshops on 2SLGBTQ+ inclusion to businesses, service providers, organizations, and students.
Duties & Responsibilities: Attend training sessions on workshop content, presentation skills, dealing with difficult situations, professionalism, and Rainbow Resource Centre expectations; deliver one-hour presentations when scheduled; participate in relevant Rainbow Resource Centre community programming; attend regular meetings of Community Facilitators to debrief presentations delivered, and offer peer support and mentorship.
- Up to 6 one-hour presentations per year occurring 1 to 2 times monthly during the day (depending on your availability and the times requested by the organization)
- 15 hours (2x 7.5 hour days) of training at the onset of the position
- Up to 2 hours per month for community programming and peer debrief.
Skills and Qualifications: Friendly, people-oriented, responsible, organized, reliable, calm under pressure, adaptable, able to listen and effectively communicate with people from diverse backgrounds, comfortable speaking in front of groups of people, able to comfortably navigate objections and differing opinions, basic knowledge of computers and technology (is an asset but not mandatory).
Age Requirement: 18+
Start & End Date: March 2020 to September 2020 (6 month volunteer commitment with opportunity to renew)
Location: Rainbow Resource Centre (170 Scott St. R3L 0L3); Presentation locations TBD
Direct Supervisor: Adam Rout, Volunteer Coordinator 204-474-0212 x 206; Post-presentation and monthly check-in
Training: Rainbow Resource Centre Community Facilitator Orientation (7.5 hours), March, 2020, “The Qube” @ Rainbow Resource Centre (170 Scott St. R3L 0L3)
Remuneration: Each successful applicant will receive an honorarium of:
- $300 for the 2 day Community Facilitator Orientation (additional funds for childcare and transportation will be provided if necessary)
- $75 for each presentation delivered
Application Deadline: February 28, 2020
Applicant Instructions: Submit your Volunteer Application, cover letter & resume to:
Adam Rout, Volunteer Coordinator
Rainbow Resource Centre
Be sure to include “Community Facilitator Application” in the subject line of the email, and in your cover letter.
Rainbow Resource Centre is an equity-seeking organization who believes that our diversity makes us stronger. For this position, we encourage applicants from the 2SLGBTQ+ community who are newcomers, people of colour, Two-Spirit, transgender, and gender non-conforming who face barriers to employment to self-identify in their cover letter.
At any time during the application process, new volunteers are welcome to:
- utilize the Centre’s public computer, internet access, and no-cost printing;
- utilize the ‘Cover Letter & Resume Template’, found on the volunteer page of our website;
- contact the Volunteer Coordinator for application guidance, as needed; and
- voice any and all accessibility concerns to the Volunteer Coordinator as they arise.