Our counselling intake is currently closed for October 2022. Next intake is in early February 2023.
If you would like to be notifies of the next intake, please join our electronic mailing list.
The Rainbow Resource Centre provides free short-term counselling (up to 12 sessions) and single-sessions to 2SLGBTQ+ people and their partners, parents, or families. Everyone’s experience of being 2SLGBTQ+ is unique and so the supports required are not the same for everyone. There may be times when we feel it is in the best interest of everyone involved to make an external referral. The counsellors are happy to discuss this with you and strategize about accessing services at other agencies and organizations.
We understand that not everyone has equal access to services and that historically and presently, many population groups have been underserved. We strive to remove barriers by making our intake process equitable. We have identified five population groups who we will be prioritizing in our triaging process, including those who:
- Identify as Black, Indigenous and/or a person of colour
- Are residing in a rural or Northern community
- Are a youth (aged 21 and under)
- Are an older adult (aged 55±)
- Are financially insecure (e.g. little/no expendable income, difficulty paying for basic needs such as housing/rent, medications and groceries, etc.)
When working with children ages 13 and under, we will ask that the parent or guardian(s) sign a “Consent to Therapy” form ensuring parental permission. Parents will have the opportunity to meet with a counsellor one-on-one, or as a family. At times, the counsellor may request individual sessions with either parents or children.
Rainbow Resource Centre does not have the capacity to provide crisis supports. If you are in crisis, please reach out to one of the following services:
- If you are under 18, you can contact:
- Kids Help Phone at 1-668-6868
- Youth Mobile Crisis at 204-949-4777 or 1-888-383-2776.
- Klinic’s 24/7 crisis line at 204-786-8686 or 1-888-322-3019
- Trans Lifeline at 1-877-330-6366
- Adult Mobile Crisis at 204-940-1781
- or attend 817 Bannatyne Ave in Winnipeg for 24/7 crisis supports.
Yearly Intake Schedule (subject to change):
- Early October intake open. Applications are then triaged and then counsellors will contact their caseloads in early November.
- Early February intake open.. Applications are then triaged and then counsellors will contact their caseloads in early March.
- Early June intake open. Applications are then triaged and then counsellors will contact their caseloads in early July.
If you are a service provider and seeking consultation please call us at 204-474-0212 to arrange a time to meet with a counsellor.