Camp Aurora is the summer camp in Manitoba that is subsidized and created for gender and sexually diverse youth. This camp serves youth who are between the ages 14-19 by the first day of camp who can identify as Two-Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning (2SLGBTQ+), and allied youth. Camp is located about 2 hours outside of Winnipeg in the Whiteshell area at Camp Brereton. Camp Aurora programming aims to build capacity, resilience, and community of 2SLGBTQ+ youth.
Every year, programming includes a variety of sessions that focus on: creativity, expression, education, support, hands-on activities, self-care practices and more. Workshops have included a drag show with local performers, learning about queer history, queer sex education, and affirming yoga to name a few. Classic camp activities like swimming, canoe trips, campfires, arts and crafts, recreational games and a dance also take place.
Camp Aurora will be running from Sunday, August 27th to Wednesday, August 30th for 2023.
Registration will be open from June 1st to June 30th, 2023. Please check back for the registration form on June 1.
View our 2022 Camp Schedule to get an idea of what Camp is all about here.
- To create safe(r) spaces by challenging all forms of discrimination such as homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, racism, sexism, classism, ableism, ageism, fatphobia, xenophobia and the ongoing impacts of colonization;
- To engage with and learn from positive role models and connect with 2SLGBTQ+ peers;
- To provide opportunities for campers to build new skills through experiential learning;
- To encourage community engagement, participation, and volunteerism;
- To facilitate social inclusion for campers from rural, northern and urban settings;
- To foster and strengthen youth leadership skills;
- To ensure the youth-centered content, spirit, and longevity of the camp;
- To ensure camp is accessible to all youth, regardless of socio-economic status;
- To celebrate all aspects of identity; and
- To foster existing, and establish new community relationships
This year’s in-person Camp Aurora is organized by Rainbow Resource Centre staff.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Camp Aurora
Please consider supporting Camp Aurora with your donation. This valuable experience is available to youth because people like you help us out. The requested fee is $400 (and we can waive that fee if we need to). The remaining costs associated with camp are covered by grants and contributions from generous donors. Keeping camp costs to a minimum gives us the opportunity to have EVERY youth at camp, regardless of financial restrictions and that is incredibly important to us. It may only be a four-day camp, but for many of our youth this is enough keep them going throughout the year. Camp builds confidence, creates feelings of acceptance, and fosters positive and lasting friendships. Camp is building a generation of 2SLGBTQ+ youth who will be proud leaders.